Arnstorf – in the Centre of Lower Bavaria
The Arnstorf community is located in the centre of Lower Bavaria and has a population of approx. 7,000. It is ensconced between the vast grasslands in the floodplains of the Kollbach rivulet and the adjoining hilly landscape of Lower Bavaria.
And it is very good to eat and live here. In and around Arnstorf there are many places to stop for a bite to eat: from traditional Bavarian taverns with beer gardens to chic bistros all the way to exclusive Italian restaurants.
Even economically, Arnstorf stands on a solid foundation: many industrial, service and handicraft enterprises have made Arnstorf their home, making it the second largest industrial base of the Rottal-Inn County. Excellent transport connections to the state road and motorway network (B20 and A92) make scenically and culturally attractive Arnstorf easy to reach and invite for a visit. Arnstorf offers many historical and unique sights which have left their distinctive mark on the community. There is some very interesting shopping, especially in the centre of town. Numerous specialist retailers offer an attractive selection of goods and services combined with excellent support.
History of the Arnstorf community
Origin of the name Arnstorf
Arnstorf was first mentioned in historic documents dating back to the year 1145. Around 1130/40, mention is made of a certain Wernhart de Arnsdorf. In 1145, a certain Roudeger de Arnesdorf is mentioned as a witness in a barter transaction between the Aldersbach Monastery and Bishop Heinrich of Regensburg. It may therefore be presumed that the "person who gave Arnstorf its name was a member of the clan found mainly in the Isen area around the 8th and 9th Century whose descendants include Archbishop Arn of Salzburg ". The determinative element of Arnstorf’s name is therefore the personal name Arn. The primary word "dorf" refers to the forest clearing period between the 8th and 11th Century during which numerous places with a "dorf" in their name emerged, which would correlate with the time during which said bishop lived. Arnstorf’s name therefore implies that this settlement used to be the village of Arn.
The lower court district of Arnstorf is raised to the status of market community
To replenish the state treasury, local sovereigns would bestow special rights upon particularly deserving noblemen. The Arnstorf House of Closen, in their capacity as lords of the lower court district, were both judges and landlords. They were the "leadership", which they exercised over the country and people within the range of their property. In 1419, Arnstorf becomes a market community. Elevation to the status of market community in 1419, subject to the consent of the Eggenfelden and Pfarrkirchen market communities, also implied the right to hold annual fairs. Bestowal of the right to hold markets was the economic basis for market activities, which resulted in mercantile and commercial activities of the community’s population.
The market community’s coat of arms
Barely a hundred years later, 1509, saw the emergence of the coat of arms of the Arnstorf market community: an arm brandishing a sabre, which is an old empirical symbol for market rights and market peace. Description of the current coat of arms: "An arm dressed in alternating colours, breaking out of the left side of a split shield in black and gold, holding a silver sword with a golden handle". The colours are those of the coat of arms of the House of Closen.
The Noble House of Closen and its successors
From the very beginning, the market community was owned by the Noble House of Closen, who were bestowed a count’s coronet in 1766. The House of Closen and its successors enjoyed a large measure of privileges. As landlords, they possessed both the socage right and the sole hunting and fishing right. It was they who authorised the Guild and Handicrafts Code. They were also vested with the right of patronage, which included the right to present their parish priest to the bishop, the right to make a first recommendation in all shareholder liaison matters, and the right to low ecclesiastic offices. When the House of Closen in Arnstorf became extinct in the late 18th Century, the property went to the Counts of Deym through marriage in 1847.
The Parish Church
Arnstorf was first mentioned as a parish in 1253. The current church, an example of the Late Gothic style, was built in the 15th Century. The Gothic interior was later augmented by a Baroque interior.
The Snow Chapel
Even around the time of the Thirty Years’ War, there was a column bearing a cross in the later location of the chapel of "Our Lady of the Snow", where Arnstorf citizens would entrust their requests to the intercession of St. Mary. The year of construction and the builder of the Snow Chapel are unknown. However, based on capital borrowed from the chapel fund, the time of construction can be roughly calculated as between 1723 and 1730.
Handicraft and Trade
The elevation to market community status in 1419 and the accompanying transfer of the annual fairs from Hainberg to Arnstorf heralded an economic upward trend. Resident craftsmen of identical trades joined into brotherhoods from which the guilds would later emerge. The church chronicles of the Arnstorf Parish of 1515 mention three brotherhoods: the brotherhoods of clothiers, leather-workers and shoemakers. Within these brotherhoods, an active religious life emerged which involved the entire family of the craftsman, at anniversaries, the four Quatember days, and at funerals.
The Local Court
When, as a result of the law of 4 June 1848, the landlords’ patrimonial jurisdiction was transferred to the government, the "judge house, a residential house with an office" in Arnstorf lost its function as a court house. The fools’ house, newly erected in the 18th Century, where wrongdoers were put on show for punishment, had also become obsolete. Following a decision by the government of Lower Bavaria of 26 August 1849, Arnstorf was designated as venue for a local court. In 1858 the market community petitioned the king for a new local court. This request was refused at the time. It was not until 1861 that a local court was approved for Arnstorf.
The Post Station
Before the establishment of the government postal service, messengers on foot or on horseback would deliver letters, newspapers, money bags and packages to their destinations. These errands were a part of the Arnstorf citizen’s obligations during the time of the manorial system. Arnstorf had only one drop-off point at that time – a private messenger would walk every day to the post office in Simbach. After transfer of the postal service into state administration in the Kingdom in Bavaria in 1808, Arnstorf’s citizens were by 1812 striving for a postal expedition with postal stable. In 1863, trips by horse-drawn wagon and messenger trips were approved.
Persons of Outstanding Merit
- Joseph Bill, Composer, 1830 - 1901
- Franz Dambeck, Professor, 1903 - 1974
- Dr. Josef Hauber, Physician, around 1900
- Max Kanzlsperger, Composer, 1886 - 1963
- Kilian I.Weybeck, Abbot, 1503 - 1534
- Erhard Kutschenreuter, Composer, 1873 - 1946
- Michael Pexenfelder, Judge, around 1600
- Johann Pöllmann, Painter, around 1900
- Georg Sailer, Parish Priest, 1852 - 1923
- Josef Schachtner, Economic Councillor and Member of Parliament, around 1900